Ws6air Knight Rider Replica

If you've got it, flaunt it! Keep a record of your Firebird here!

Re: Ws6air Knight Rider Replica

Postby ws6air » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:53 am

Well, I decided after making some deals with Billy at Knight Designs to let him mold it and it was going to be called the MB1 nose. I definately didn't know this was going to cause a war of worlds with Billy, Louisell, and myself. There was some tensions to say the least between Billy and Rob Louisell. I knew there was a tension there, but boy was there ever one. I went to Georgia with the nose and met with Billy. He showed me all kinds of stuff, like a shell from the Knight 4000 (Brian Thone's car) , original pictures he had from Knight Rider , cast and crew, etc, etc....Awesome weekend. He told me he was going to design his own nose eventually and he just wanted to get something on the market for a nose. I was game, as I brought my nose to him, and we all looked it over. He was there with Scott Derr, who is also making Knight Rider parts , back then and now. He actually makes the noses for Joao of Knight Passions. They both did fiberglass and was amazed at the weight of the nose. Scott showed me some pieces he had done and it was a great day. I made sure everything was good between me and Billy with contract to sign and everthing.... Well, Everything went good. I dropped the nose off there, and went back to NC and started to work on ride some more as I had some pieces come my way from Louisell. It was my Steering wheel and Pod buttons.

Here's a pic of the guys I met in Georgia:

Here's the pods I received from Louisell:

Brian Thone's Knight Rider 4000 shell.... KILLER , still is!!!

Steering wheel (Gullwing) from Louisell

Everything was good until............
ws6air

Postby ws6air » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Everything was good for about a week, I was excited about everything about the hobby. New parts coming in, had a dash that I didn't mind. Man. One thing I can say is this: when I went to Georgia and saw first hand the quality of Billy's parts compared to other parts in the hobby, man , it was like, WOW!!!! I could definately tell the difference now in good glasswork and other glasswork. One thing I noticed mainly was the difference between hand laid fiberglass, and blown in glass. Hand laid is sooOO much nicer if done right/and Billy's was. Billy to date, IS one of the best in the business when it comes to glasswork. I was so impressed with his work. He showed me a whole package deal that he did for a customer, that had a dash, lower console, upper console, pods, and MAN!!!!, the steering wheel was sooOOO awesome. It felt like a brick and it felt secure , like it wasn't going anywhere. Glasswork is Glasswork, but man, this stuff was awesome, and to see an original dash!!!! KILLER!!!!

So , everything was going great for about a week until I put pictures of me and Billy on The Foundation(web board for Knight Rider guys) . This was primarily a Louisell board and Rob Louisell did not get along with Billy from past that I was very unaware of . So , this started a storm with Louisell, and the heat was on me for letting Billy mold it, as the Louisell camp(Foundation) said I was recasting Rob's nose. Then , out of the blue , I got a different interpretation of Louisell camp/as now I was seeing a bad side that I had not seen the two years I had been in the hobby. Louisell on the board, said that he never told me I could not do anything with the nose. Now , I had this in e-mail, and still do. I've never released this stuff as I'm over it, way over it, I'm just telling my story and how things actually happened for me and this crazy, crazy hobby. I eventually spoke my mind on the board, and eventually got kicked off the Foundation. I was more than welcomed on The Registries(another forum for Knight Rider replica guys) (This back in the day was called by replica builders as the Don Collie site, and the Foundation was Rob's site.) I talked about this previously. Now , I did stuff like , I did a poll on both sites before I got kicked off The Foundation about " Was my nose a recast or my own". This got took down on The Foundation and I do believe is still up on the Registries. 90 % said total redo on The Registries. Foundation never gave it a chance, nor me, to speak my place , and I was banned for being a recaster and they said their policies on there do not allow recasters of such on their site. So, I was banned.

I was ill, and very frustrated as when I went into the hobby, it was all good, and all fun. Now, I was frustrated about what had just happened. I didn't think I did anything wrong, as I had been a Boy Scout from the beginnning, even hiding Louisell's unedited pictures of what I had done, I photoshopped the nose, well, you can best believe I let these pictures out unphotoshopped as some said I did very little mods to the nose. Funny, what do you all think....hmmm

So , what do I do next....well, the next week becomes very intersting.... more to come..... Going back to Georgia!!!
ws6air

Postby brother al » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:01 pm

Well, from their point... business is business... LOL!

Seriously, that came out very nice indeed... although its lost on a lot of folks, building something better than what is available currently is/ and always has been a major cog in every aspect of our hobby...
brother al

Postby ws6air » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:59 pm

The week after I went to Georgia, I went through some crazy ol' web board crap, crap is what I DO call it. I said , heck with this, I'm moving on and doing some more welding and work on the car itself. The cowl section , I wanted to be smooth and very slick, without all the seams and welds, holes, etc. So i got started and finished this section after about 2 -3 weeks. I kind of ignored what happened with the board stuff and thought for awhile on what to do, during working on this section , I remember getting a call from Billy about the nose........interesting. Billy from Knight Designs called and said he talked with Rob Louisell and he didn't want anything to do with the nose anymore. Weird I thought, as I would have just pushed on and said , ah, let's do this thing, but he said those two had worked their differences out. So , I said, okay, I didn't want the nose down there so I went to Georgia again, and picked the nose back up. I got down there and Billy told me some things , he would have done with the nose if it was his, and I listened because he had been in the hobby longer. (I should have kept the nose the way it was) (different story ....coming later) We also worked a deal for getting a dash , pod , steering wheel, upper console, etc.... as after the whole thing went down with Rob and The Foundation, I wanted no part of his stuff in my car. Sounds bad, but it left that bad of a taste in my mouth, and I also had a chance to get Billy's 1st season dash.... I was thankful for that and it was very nicely done, and very thick .

I started to put my stuff on ebay immediately , as I was angered and felt I had been wrongly accused of something I did, as both boards were behind me on the nose deal, and all of a sudden , alot were against me. I was being a Boy Scout for crying out. Looking at all options and choosing what I thought was the right one, ended up being a battle as , did I do the right thing. Geez. I'm kind of glad I did, as this helped push me for more accuracy, and so.... What to do with the nose , was still on my mind after returning back.

I tried to finish the top of the cowl section, and I did, man it was looking cool. I'm beginning to think I was getting way over my head with custom stuff, but way, way too late!!!!! hah

I also sent the engine out for powder coating.... turned out cool looking....Love it!!!

I had the nose on my mind and talked to alot of people about it....It really was buggin me about it, but.....more later on that!!! hah This is about 2.5 years into the hobby....

Marc
ws6air

Postby kymmee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:36 pm

All I can say it you really have the patience and dedication to take on such a project!! :) My hubby and I partially restored one car (82MSE)and that was enough for me. We did basically the whole car except didnt pull the engine block (only had 29k on it). I dont want to do anything that extensive again. It came out great, but was ALOT of work.
1982 base Firebird V-6 LC1 23k
TTA #1515, 53k
1982 MSE Trans Am #55 31k
1984 Indy Fiero #525 44k, orig survivor SOLD
1989 Formula 350 65k
kymmee

Postby ws6air » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Thanks, Yey, After that nose stuff , I was like....wow, do I really want to keep pursuing this? Oh well, I guess I'm just crazy A? After getting the Cowl done, and talking to a bunch of people, I had one friend that has hung in there with me this whole time. That person was Ken from Wraith Innovations. Me and him became close after talking on the phone for hours, and hours , not just about Knight Rider neither!!! Hah! We both agreed that the hobby was a crazy one!!! Well , me and him under radar/ becuase he didn't want any drama , said he would mold it, and make copies for me if I wanted to start a company and start selling them. I trusted him as he has NEVER had a complaint about quality, it was always about time to get product out. Ken would take his time on products , as I had heard this, and yes he does, but the outcome is remarkable product. He was going to take the nose, mold it, and I was going to sell it under the name : Phoenix Bumpers Online. I was excited that he wanted to do this, so I told him , let me make some minor changes to it, then I'll send it.

Well, I made some changes that Billy from Knight Designs told me I should do. (This was his opinion) He said I should make the bottom straight, get rid of the plexi/scanner shelf, and fix a few little lines. I did all of the above . (should I have) (no) but I did, because I trusted his opinion at the time. ( I learn later to trust my own instincts in this hobby) Nothing wrong with his opinion, just that, I did it, and eventually, years later, a newer nose gets made and this one is old news. (but that's later, HAH) and the original was not straight on bottom, and Billy made his new nose with the scanner shelf. (This is years later)

Straightened lines out a little, shaped up nose a little .....

Straightened up the fog area a bit......

Made sure both sides were even....they finally were....etc, etc.

Ken was telling me that it would be easier to mold if it was painted , as this would make the surface slick, and the glass would not take as well to a slick surface. So I painted it black and wetsanded and buffed it....Of course the one time I try to paint and wetsand to make look perfect, I burn through the freaking paint....Hah!!! You paint guys: "been there , done that" right? Hah. Anyway ... The nose was painted and ready to be molded. I of course, couldn't wait to get on the car with a scanner. Blk nose on car, heck yey!!!!

These images may seem familer to some, but , this is my story of my Knight Rider coversion. I bet some of you ones that know me, didn't know alot of this. Stay tuned , you may learn more that you didn't..... hah!
ws6air

Postby ws6air » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:42 pm

After the nose was done, I was ready to send it to Ken, but how do you ship something cheap, but gets there unharmed, You ship it freight, as this was not expensive at all, it was huge!!! I laugh now, but back then , I used old skids and such from work to make a pretty hefty box out of. Didn't want it to get damaged, so I made a crate....

The crazy world I live in!!! AAAAHHHHh Jjokin....we're having fun!!!!

In this time, I gained a new little monster....My buddy passed away, and this little guy found his way home.

Just thought I'd throw some humor in there, but I love this little guy.....oh boy, how things change over the next year..... Wooh!!!! Later guys

Marc
ws6air

Postby ws6air » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:53 am

So , now that the nose was gone, and I was going to try this business thing, it was time for me to start designs of a logo....I was of course trying to go for something with a phoenix logo. Here is a coupld of design starters...

ETC, ETC..... I finally came up with this.

Not a great design, but would be a good starter, as this was starting to look up on things. As I was feeling better about getting the nose out there as people wanted and so , I moved on to the firewall of the car. I learned the hardway, Don't weld with the carpet close....WOOH!!!! Had plenty of smokey moments, especially when I fried my wire harness C100 mount for firewall adapter....(I think it's the C100) (Can't remember) I was Pissed!!!! This meant a whole new harness , etc, etc.... boy oh boy....oh well, I moved on and got it done, this was some hard work here!!!!

It's was getting there, as the cowl was done and also I felt pretty comfortable about the firewall as everything blocked out nicely. I went ahead and did some build primer on it. Turned out cool!!!!!

Okay, I was really burned out on the firewall by now... WOW, what a lot of worked and I haven't even done guide coats, but I did lay it on thick, as I knew it was going to be a lot of less work if I did that and sanded out the imperfections. This has been about 3-4 months since I sent the nose out, making time for the car a positive. Had my mind off of it. I was constantly talking with Ken, I of course wasn't on any boards for a bit.

Billy from Knight Designs asked if I knew where to find the original TV-Frames for the car. I said will I need it? He said, if your going for the original look. I of course being almost 3 years in, said , "well of course, I'll try to find them" So the search went on.

My pod electrics and overhead console electrics came in from Joe Russo who at this time was in business with Brian Thone and they produced, and still do produce some of the nicest pods out on the market. It was a privelage to have these. I will find out later how rare it was to have these, as Joe and Brian quit accepting anymore orders for these.

Couple of months went by and this was around the 2 year 9 month mark. I was excited as everything was going well, and was making big plans about the nose. Man, and to have that engine bay almost done, I was getting excited for sure!!!! That's it from me for awhile. Starts getting exciting though for me as I do eventually find something.... Hah
ws6air

Postby ws6air » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:18 am

During a break I was taking care of trying to find those bezels.... Well, actually, on Craigslist, a lady had 3 outside monitors that she was selling. I looked and said, is that it? I asked her to send more pics, and it was most definately it. I automatically called her after the pics, and ordered just the Knight Rider one. No one had found these monitor frames in the hobby that I was aware of, and so I called Billy. He said, "no way!!" He was excited as I was and found that the monitor frames were it, and couldn't wait to see pics of when I got it.

While waiting on the frames to get here, me , wifey, and Billy thought it would be a great idea to come up with a board to go to that was not vendor related. Remember, in the KNight Rider world, there was The Foundation and The Registries. One was more or less a Don Collie board(Registries) and Louisell Enterprises(Foundation).... So, I called it the Neutralzone and came out with it with this logo. It's actually still going, but nobody post there anymore as there is newer boards out there.

Little man was getting bigger/dog...and man, he was a talker.....STILL IS!!!

After working on the site for awhile and shipping the TV bezel to Billy to redo and make copies(of Course!!!) , I decided to work on the rest of the engine bay. By now, I was getting really tired of this, but I had learned alot and moved pretty quickly through it. It was still, weld , grind, weld, grind, clean, weld , grind..... You get the picture. I first started making the pan for it like the other side.

This is the only pic I have of the pan alone(it's a duplicate from earlier)

I got throught the welding quick as I was definately a better welder and could go through it pretty quickly, still took awhile as there was an issue on this side. Where the steering box was, the metal pans went down about a 1/4 inch, so the area of the ban would not have been flat if I welded it up. So, I had to weld in some big ol' pieces of metal in to compensate for this. This side was turning into a monster of a side....ugh

I did this a little different on this side. I used fiberglass to seal the metal and also All Metal to start the bondo process. ALOT of work here!!!! TOO MUCH!!! I was tired, but kept moving on

During this time, while working on the engine bay, I was also asking Ken if he had done any work to the nose. His answer, NO.... I knew he took his time and was busy, so I just left it alone and moved back to working on logo stuff for the nose company....

As if there was not enough going on.... Wifey and I find this dog, and just fall in love....she was loopy, but boy was she happy, she was a lover...man was she

She loved little bit.... Those were good days... The word Knight Rider was getting old by now. Jjokin, but true. I was getting burned out on the car and was needing something else to do, so during awhile, I decided to start doing my cleaning up on the voice commands that I planned on using for the show. I watched every episode thinking, man , this will keep me busy. Oh yey, it did, but it also drained my wife of the show even more. While watching the show for phrases, I also made Screengrabs . Yes, I know, REALLY? , but yey, I did as I needed these to compare and do stuff.....I was getting to the crazy part of the hobby. This is about 3.5 years in, and it was not becoming fun , but I was moving onward. Just so you know, the 80 TA only took about 2 years to restore....3.5 years? UGH!!!!! I haven't even put the engine in!!!! Going to be a long road ahead, for sure!!!!

Marc
ws6air

Postby Daytona_83 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:00 am

Wow, reading every word you've posted on here, this is an amazing project! It sucks that you had some hardships with a few vendors, but sounds like everything worked out in the end. I'm interested in seeing more progress!
-Brodie
(SOLD)1983 Pontiac Trans Am "Daytona 500" pace car - 1 of 520
LG4 305 V8/T5 5-speed transmission
123,xxx miles
Daytona_83

Postby ws6air » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:01 am

Well, the driver side was getting done and I loved getting this side done. It was alot of hard work, actually alot more than the passenger side, because of the extra metal, and alot more welding, etc. So , I felt it was time for a quick build primer, and see how things looked. I was very happy with the outcome, and was soOOO ready to be done with this......

Well, to be honest, I was tired of this engine bay , as this was about 2 months, maybe even 3 months worth of work. I felt good and so syked, I went ahead and finish the radiator support , so I could see the whole thing done.....man, I was gettting alot done...Feeling good about this....

Well, back to mixing the build primer up.... Had to do this section, and finally get to see the entire thing done.... Man, I was really digging this. It finally looked the way I wanted it to.

Well, it was time to do something very different , go to a KNight Rider festival , which changes the whole thing for me on all this nose stuff.....more to come!!!!
ws6air

Postby ws6air » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Well, there was a Knight Rider festival in Vegas that everyone wanted to go to. The Neutralzone board that me and wifey was doing was going good, we were helping Billy from Knight Designs to get his web board up and going. Me and Billy wanted to meet in Vegas and go around to the show together and meet other vendors, celebrities and , and our true reason, the original car that AJ Palmgreen owned. This was one of the guys Billy knew in the hobby that we were going to meet and get to see KITT. We were asked from the shows producer to produce, donate , something for the show. As me and Billy were working together on alot of stuff, I had access to getting some mugs made for the show after asking the show's producer if it was okay.(Paul Casey) Paul said sure, and if there was anyway to make just celebrity mugs for the event to handout just to the celebrities with their name on it. This was great, so , me and Billy came up with money to make mugs and I designed them using images given from Paul Casey. Billy was also going to donate an Upper Console and a few other things to the event. Everything was going good for Vegas!!!!

Alot are probably asking what this has to do with my replica? Big question, but man , oh man..... was I in for some surprises!!! I was going to get to see the original way more than I expected to. ..... Here's some pics from the show. My first big Knight Rider show!!!

Me with the original new/ KNight Rider 2008.

I finally got to meet up with Ken from Wraith Innovations, and man, this was great as he brought me a book with a bunch of pictures of what he had done so far with the nose. This was great(still have the book) !!!

Me and Billy get to meet the new Michael Knight from the newer Knight Rider show.....

We got to meet George Barris , he did the Monkee car, later season Knight Rider , etc, etc. LOTS of cars from shows , etc, etc....and yes, with the mugs we did!!!

While in Vegas, the first day of the event, Billy says, " Hey , AJ said we could come and look at the original for a bit, before he takes it to the show . I said sure of course!!! Was excited!!!! This was a real treat and man we even got to measure the original nose!!!! Boy was I off ....The first thing I noticed was how much smaller the real nose was in the middle. EVERYTHING about the nose was smaller than what me, Ken , and Billy EVER thought it was. It was like, REALLY? We were in wow factor mode. Couldn't believe it!!!!

Me and Billy wrote all the measurements down, and I took video to help remember how everything looked and was measured. This ends up in the long run, helping sooOOO much. AJ gave us some history of the car and where it came from, etc, etc. Was sooOOO exciting!!! After seeing the original in Vegas, me and Ken, were like, man , your nose is nice, but not very close to the originals size. I agreed. It was exciting to see, but at same time, depressing...Hah, but true!!!

While out in Vegas, Billy had another surprise, we got to meet and have lunch with Scheffe(the original designer of KITT and Back to the Future , etc) Was a great 2nd day, and man, me and Billy were soooOOO syked about meeting him. It was great!!! He even drew me out some drawings of what he was thinking about when designing the nose. He drew it out when he was leaving, and man, this was killer!!!!

Well, me, Billy and wifes, tried to sell all mugs, which we did, and we gave it to Paul Casey. Wife worked the show with Paul Casey and tried to sell and did, all the mugs at the event. She helped with the silent auction, helped actors from the show with finding pens, etc. We were now working for the event? Weird, as we didn't sign up for this, and lost alot of time with the cars that were at the show. Wifey still gives me hell over that. The last day there was more work than anything, and we didn't really get to enjoy ourselves like we wanted to, but everything was still fun and we learned oh so much ,especially how big the Knight Rider world really is!!! The lines for autographs were extremely long, this was amazing!!! After this day, me ,Ken and wifey, all went out(with other Knight Rider guys) went out to enjoy Vegas. The rental car was nice to have as we got around nicely.

After all was over. We made it back home and little one was glad for that, and we were too, except we were very tired!!!

ws6air

Postby ws6air » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Boy , after Vegas, we had alot to think about, me and Ken!!! I told him I was going to have to change at least the spoiler, and he agreed to change it, but only if I drew out what I wanted to do. I said, cool, I'll do that......

I photoshopped this picture to show what needed to be done. This helped Ken to see around the spoiler what I wanted to do to it. My spoiler was too round at the fender side, and I wanted it more boxie. The whole thing being smaller than my nose, was really mentally getting me down , as I knew that nose was wrong, and it was alot bigger than the original. It was close, but it truly was bugging me that I was that far off.

Some would ask, WHY, as the nose looked like KITT and nobody else would know it was wrong. I really can't answer this, besides saying, if it's not right, or close, than it really got me down and I would always know it. This sounds crazy, but truth hurts sometimes. I wanted to be accurate and precise on this car, why was my big question, WHY!!!??? CRAZY!!!! Hah!!! Ken understood and I worked with him while working on the actual bodywork of the car. I started this, and man, the whole body of the car took probably 6-7 months to block out, prime build, block, sand....etc....

One thing I wanted to do was smooth the door jams out. GM just showed it with the layers of metal showing. I thought it would look rushed,with the engine all smoothed out, and then the door jams not? So , here I go welding again....UGH, but... it turned out cool looking....

If I do know one thing, it's getting the T-top jams clean....what a crappy thing to have to do.....UGH x 10!!!!

I found some rust in the rear passenger side quarter panel well. This had to be welded and then primed also....This was not fun, but I had to do it, just time consuming.....

The actual blocking of the car was quite easy. It needed alot of help to get straight , but it eventually got there......

Alright, now it was time for some build primer on those quarters, t-top area, and door jams... Man, this turned out WAY cooler than anticipated. Time on all this was approx. 8-10 months. I'm probably at the 4 year mark on this car and was getting really burned out as I haven't even blocked sanded anything yet!!!! YIKES!!!! Man.... I was burned out on bodywork!!! It will eventually pay off, I knew that, but man...Anyway...Here's some pics of the body with build prime.... Was looking good though....Was happy after every prime spray though.

Wifey was trying to get Billy's site up and going (she was extremely busy at work, around this time), and I was also trying to help come up with stuff for Knight Rider parts, as ideas for Billy and just ideas like: how to make turbine noise like KITT, how can we make the fog area have functional grilles that open and shut. Lots of ideas were pouring out. I also was trying to get with Ken on the nose as I haven't heard much about it , hardly at all, while doing all the bodywork. I was starting to get worried sometimes as I didn't hear from him sometimes, 1- 2 weeks, then it was 1-2 months.... I wouldn't hear anything from him sometimes. I was starting to get concerned about everything. Finally , I got in touch with him, but Ken did get the corners finished, and everything was going good.

Billy also started on his own nose and it was looking good too. We talked alot about it, and I photoshopped stuff for him, to help see it from the front, with both sides instead of one. This was helpful to me as now I was getting syked to get my nose Ken had done. Me and Ken talked and we came up with a conclusion: If he molds the nose, and he comes out with it, he will be banned from The Foundation..... We both were like, we don't care, but, it bothered both me and him that certain people would be tense about this nose and his relations with them will probably change, and , that some of my measurements were off on the nose I sent him, so , he agreed to measure his 4th season nose on length, etc....to see how close it was measurement wise to the original.... Oh man!!!! It was almost dead on on certain places on the nose. So , this is where it gets crazy!!!

Ken wanted me to try and sculpt another one with the correct measurements..... I said, man, this is crazy, but man, this would end the whole nose issue with the original supposely being a recast(hah) , it would allow me to use my measuements I took, it would also allow me to use some perfect side angle shots I had, but , do I really want to tackle this? That was the real question!!! Ken helped me make my decision as, if I didn it, He could sell it under his name and company that he worked hard to get a good name for. This way, nobody could say anything (about is being a recast, etc) ,plus I could fix the areas that were wrong as his nose was already there, measurement wise. Certain areas were wrong on my nose: Here's a few things that were wrong on the original one I did:

The middle was WAY too big in the middle , the fog area's angles were not correct, the plexi cover measurements were WAY too big. We learned this from Vegas, and man, were we off . So , it was a given that we did another one, was it going to be worth it ...... (oh yey) future is looking up. CRAZY???? Oh yey!!!! Most definately!!!!

Marc
ws6air

Postby KY82 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:08 am

Hey Marc. Looking good as always! Will stay tuned! By the way, when you get tired of those 16" Forumla Wheels...let me know. I'd like to have them.
1982 Trans Am- Black T-Top, Carbed 327, TH350 ---Modified
1989 Pontiac Firebird- Black T-Top, 5.0 TBI, 700R4 ---Stock
KY82

Postby ws6air » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks Bryan! This is all old news to you, but I figured I 'd let it all out there about my replica and what I've had to go through to get where I'm at now. Well as far as the replica was going, I had about 4 years in and I still had to block the car, yikes right? Oh yey.... I was still excited about the new nose project, yet, still was depressed that I was going to do another one. In the meantime, I didn't waste anytime on the engine bay blocking......Used my guide coat , and moved onto the body also.... Was about 2 months worth of work here.....LOTS of time .....but it was slick!!!

I told my little bit , it was done, and boy she was happy....

Ken sent me the final pics of the nose done, and man.... I couldn't believe it, it looked really nice, he said he molded the nose to send to me and he was shipping ASAP. I was syked but also going, UGH!!!! Billy in these 3-4 months, finished his nose and also wanted to move on with the web site, so he hired out to someone else to take care of it and wifey was definately happy as she was sooOO busy with work and was sort of burnt out on the whole Knight Rider thing. It is sooOO easy to do. I couldn't help but show Billy how close me and his nose were/my orginal to his. From an angled view, they looked alot alike , especially the fog area. We had worked together on alot of ideas, but we decided to part ways(web board wise, and other ways) . Kind of felt like I was bothering him with ideas and he was too busy as he was running a business, and I was just a hobbiest, so he was sort of burned out with me, and with all my ideas all the time. I then, left Billy alone and let him do his thing. Felt like I lost a friend in the hobby though, but, I moved on.

Very close .... indeed....We both were in some respects, looking for that perfect product, that perfect look. I had plenty of ideas I was working on and decided while waiting on Ken to send me the new nose to work on, I would work on one of these ideas.... An engine cover.... oh yey!!! What was I thinking? (Crazy @ss!!!) Hah

Marc
ws6air

Postby ws6air » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:52 pm

One of the ideas I was wanting to make was an engine cover that would go with the Knight Rider theme. I wanted to go by the Knight Rider show and make an engine look like a jet turbine, like KITT had. I had all kinds of weird ideas.....

The second idea I thought was very cool and interesting. This thing could look cool if done right.... so, I used a bunch of cardboard pieces and also used some pieces I found from a 2004 Toureg. The pieces were very modern looking and kind of had that KNight Rider look. When I put these pieces over the valve covers, I just happen to have a computer tower that I wasn't using and put it in the middle, man, I loved it....

I used photoshop to sort of give me an idea of what I was wanting to do....

Well, here goes..... I started with cardboard and used duct tape so the glass wouldn't stick to it. Man, this was weird, but was having a blast making this part....Looks horrible during the process, but I had a vision, and I wanted to express that with this....weird, oh yey, so is KITT though right? Hah!!!

I was now going, what the heck am I doing here.....LOL!!! but , sooOOO true... I kept moving forward though....smoothing out the surface and making it match where it needed to.

I pretty much felt like this:

There was one thing I wanted to do by now, and that was to make the cover removable...well, one big problem. It wasn't able to move over hose for Radiator . So I tried to make this area. I used a Tylenol bottle and taped it up with packaging tape (as it's slick) and stuck in and fiberglassed around it. It worked......

I then felt like KITT would have heatsinks, or fans of such for such a high output turbine, so , I started to think about heatsinks and fans..... Going weird, and looking weird, but, I had a vision that I wanted to express.... Hah!

During this time period ,my stuff from Billy was finished, and I had to go back to Georgia to pick up pieces. While down in Georgia, I got to meet a very special person in the Knight Rider world. Mr. Joe Huth, he was basically a walking Knight Rider information system. His love for the hobby is beyond words. Very nice guy to talk with and learn about Knight Rider material. I picked up my pieces: dash, pods , upper console, lower console, and Billy also had longer caps for the lower console. This was more true to the show and of course I wanted a set, so I grabbed a set from him. Was worth it. Billy showed me the new nose and some other new things he was working on and man, and business for him was good. Even on the board that was the Rob board(as the hobbiest say it) (The Foundation) , they allowed him back on to the board. This was a big step for The Foundation and was showing that Billy's products were speaking for themselves.

After returning back from Georgia, I started right back on the cover , as I wanted to finish it before I sent the car to paint. So, I kept moving forward. Alot of questions was about heat and would the tower piece be able to take it. My answer was, I know the covers for the 2004 Toureg will, but the computer tower, probably not. My other answer was, that's another reason I'm making it removable, as when I get to shows, I can slip in on after the car cools down. Hopefully this idea stands. We will find out!!!! Hah!!!

I did move on and work on it pretty regularly, it was starting to smooth out and look like I wanted it to.

I sprayed it with some blk primer to see it and man, it was looking cool to me.... Alot of people said, it looked like a grille...hah!!! This was funny stuff, but it didn't take me away from doing it.....

Something else arrives after this was done, two things that , man oh man.... These were beautiful!!!! more to come!!!

Marc
ws6air

Postby ws6air » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:17 pm

Well, two things came in the mail about this time, and it was my overlays from Eric of Banshee Overlays and also my nose from Ken....not the one that I did previously but this new project we were going to go into. This was my last nose and man, I'll never do another for sure!!! Here is the nose as I received it.

I actually documented this one in the beginning. Was a nice process. Me and Ken agreed to do a 2/3 of this nose as he would be able to straighten it out and make a 1st season nose. The difference in noses is this

1st season is straight and is actually the design from the designer/Michael Scheffe/as he intended it to look
2nd season: They started using poly agents in the noses and also got rid of the plexi covers for the turn signals. They were indentions in the nose instead of being flush. These started to sag alot , but were durable for the show as they had alot of bumps and stuff...
3rd season is the same as above, except the noses started to sag even more, and look totally warped sometimes.
4th season: Somebody totally redid it and sharpened it up ALOT/too much for me, just my opinion.

Here we go, making of the second nose....yey!!!!

1st day

2nd day

3rd day

4th day

5th day

6th day(tired)

to be continued:
ws6air

Postby ws6air » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Man , I was getting tired..... here's some more:

7th day

8th day

I photoshopeed the one side and copy and pasted the other, just to see what it would look like.... There was alot of time in these noses and I was getting tired!!!Nobody I don't think has ever seen these photos, as alot still think I'm using and modding the original one from Louisell Enterprises. Uh, no.... Also, I was staying away from things in the hobby and just posting occasionally on the boards. After incidents in the hobby , I've learned that staying quiet is alot easier on the brain!!! Hah!!!!

9th day

10th day.....This was the day it was really taking shape , and man did photoshop help out alot on this...man oh man, getting excited here!!!!

After all this, I was tired and ready to take some time off from this stuff....Cleaned shop and worked on some other stuff that I got too....more on that later....

Marc
ws6air

Postby ws6air » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:54 pm

I went ahead and gave it a break for a bit, as man, that was a fast 10 days!!! I received my electrics from Brenon, and have to say, they were perfect and the overlays fit, like a glove.... definately better than the first set I was working with....Man, these looked KILLER!!!!

I had to see how the overlays were going to look in dash!!!!

Fit like a glove.... I was ready to move back on to the nose, as those gels on the back of the overlays are not fun...especially trying to find the correct colors from the show. I was loving this...As for the nose...man.... I started working on the other side and feeling it in....I started to lose count of hours and days.... as it just kept going, and going, and going.....UGH!!!!

Copying is alot easier than the actual one and you can always get 98% done fast, It's the 2% that is hard as hell to finish/copy

This pic was starting to look more like it.... no photoshopping...oh yey!!!

This was about 6 months worth of work here.... and man, still, haven't gotten much done as a whole, but we are starting to get moving in fast forward quickly ....stay tuned.....

Marc
ws6air

Postby ws6air » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:49 pm

After working on that for awhile, I also received my TV-bezels that I was promised and man, they turned out nice!!! Thanks again Brian Thone!!! These were awesome and man, he made plenty to go around for sure!!!

I started to work on the dash some more and I was working alot with a guy named Andy G, who was also doing a Knight Rider Replica and also had Billy's dash. Man!, this was cool. He was using the TV-bezels(originals) and he also wanted color monitors, but that was way out there as most 5" monitors were Blk and wht. He did find some monitors that were color , but were 5.5s.... He ordered them off ebay just to see if they would work with the bezel, Well, guess what, the bezel would not fit over the 5.5s , but, they would fit on the white sections of the 5.5s, but would have to mounted in front of the tube, not over and around it. Man, this was AWESOME!!! color too!!! YES!!!!!

Well, after he worked on his, he had two color monitors left, and I of course asked if he wanted to sell, and he gladly sold them to me, as we were in this together ....hah!!!! We both noticed one thing about Billy's dash....It was meant for Bo's TV frames and not the originals, as Billy's dash was sculpted when only Bo's bezel was available. What does this mean. This means that me and Andy had to cut and resculpt this area to fit the bezels correctly. This was not what I wanted , but I did find out where the dash went in for Bo's bezel and man, as much as I hated to, I had to cut this area out.... While doing this, I resculpted some areas. Just remember when sculpting when you have shelfs, like this dash, change one line, all other ones change too. I went through the dash, and glassed on the bottom to not lose the thickness of the shelf. This again, not what I wanted to do, but had to , in order to use bezels. (some pics may be disturbing to view, parental advisory) R-rated

I know, looks crazy, but the bezels fit and man....what was I getting into right? Oh well.... guess what, now that I changed the angle of the shelf, this made the left side , left of the voice box area, look off. So I had to resculpt this area also and bring it down too. This was not cool to me. Didn't like doing this ya know, but , had to to make it look right. Same for the bottom shelf. AGain, change one line, they all changed.... I worked with Andy on how he mounted his also. He mounted his with a steel frame and welded screws onto steel , man this was alot of work, but man, was going to be worth it, so I made a frame and got to mounting the monitors in place. This took about a month to do all this... not a run of the meal process to mount these, and they were HEAVY!!!!

Alot of posting tonight.... Won't be as long tommorrow, Happy Thanksgiving and I'll see you guys soon.... History of this car, wow.... just glad some of this stuff is done and over with, so much!!!! later!!!

Marc
ws6air

PreviousNext

Return to '82-'84 Firebird Showroom